On this page, we explore what Grade 10 High School subjects are needed or required to study Industrial Psychology in South African Universities and Colleges? We also look at what APS Score is required for Industrial Psychology Degree and Diploma courses. You should know that every learning institution, internationally or locally, will have its own set of requirements for Industrial Psychology studies.
List of Grade 10 subjects required to study Industrial Psychology courses
Well, let us explore what Grade 10 subjects are required in order to study Industrial Psychology in South African Universities and Colleges. The subject that you choose in grade 10 may directly determine what study options you will have at tertiary institutions. Therefore, when choosing your subject combination in grade 10, you should already have an idea in terms of what you intend to study after matric.
There are no specific High School subjects that are required to study in this field. You just need to meet the minimum APS score in the University you are going to study at. However, the following subjects are needed and essential for the curriculum:
- English Home Language,
- or English First or Second Additional Language,
- Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy.
What Industrial Psychology Career is all about
Industrial and organizational psychology which is also known as occupational psychology, organizational psychology, or work and organizational psychology; is an applied discipline within psychology. Industrial, work and organizational psychology is the broader global term for the field internationally.
Watch: Let a registered Industrial Psychologist tell you about the profession!
What is the APS Score for Industrial Psychology
In order for you to get accepted at a University in South Africa, or (Colleges that use APS scores) for a qualification in Industrial Psychology, you should possess a National Senior Certificate (Grade 12) with an APS score of between 23- 26. APS score is determined by the Grade 12 marks or results. It is also good to know that Universities and Colleges may use your Grade 11 marks if you applied before your matric results came out.
The minimum requirements for a candidate to obtain a Grade 12 National Senior Certificate?
The minimum requirements are:
- Achieve 40% in three subjects, one of which is an official language at Home Language level and 30% in three subjects.
- Provide full evidence in the SBA component in the subjects offered
Prospectus for all Universities in South Africa with APS Scores Tables
Below you will find 2023 universities prospectus for courses from all South African Universities. The prospectus includes relevant APS score and calculations for each universities:
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) – Download Prospectus
- University of Cape Town (UCT) – Download Prospectus
- University of the Western Cape (UWC) – Download Prospectus
- Stellenbosch University (SU) – Download Prospectus
- Durban University of Technology (DUT) – Download Prospectus
- Mangosuthu University of Technology (MUT) – Download Prospectus
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) – Download Prospectus
- University of Zululand (UniZulu) – Download Prospectus
- Nelson Mandela University (NMU) – Download Prospectus
- Rhodes University (RU) – Download Prospectus
- University of Fort Hare (UFH) – Download Prospectus
- University of South Africa (UNISA) – Download Prospectus
- University of Johannesburg (UJ) – Download Prospectus
- University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) – Download Prospectus
- University of Pretoria (UP) – Download Prospectus
- Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) – Download Prospectus
- Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) – Download Prospectus
- Central University of Technology (CUT) – Download Prospectus
- University of the Free State (UFS) – Download Prospectus
- North-West University (NWU) – Download Prospectus
- Sol Plaatje University (SPU) – Download Prospectus
- University of Mpumalanga (UMP) – Download Prospectus
Correct Subject Choice is Important
When it comes to subject choices, every learner should ensure that their subject choice (from Grade 10 already) will lead them in pursuing the careers they want.
The subject choice at the end of Grade 9, or Grade 10 according to The Department of Education, could determine the field of study learners can follow once they complete school. In other words, if learners do not select the correct combination of subjects, they could find themselves unable to enter into certain higher or further education programmes. So when making this important subject choice, learners should consider their options for when they complete school and select accordingly.
How much does it cost to study Industrial Psychology?
Although every learning institution will have its own fees structure and costing, studying Industrial Psychology courses can range from R15 000 to R60 000 per annum. It is always advisable for learners to contact the institution they want to learn at in order to confirm the study fees amounts for the year.