On this page, we will discuss why are big companies important to a country.
What is considered a big company?
What is considered a big company? Well, a company must employ at least 500 employees or workers to be considered as a big company.
The top 10 biggest companies in South Africa by market capitalisation
- Vodacom Group Ltd (R213 bn)
- Standard Bank Group Ltd (R306 bn)
- FirstRand Limited (R367 bn)
- Anglo American Plc (R530 bn)
- Compagnie Financiere Richemont SA (R610 bn)
- Glencore Plc (R676 bn)
- The BHP Group Plc (R730 bn)
- British American Tobacco Plc (R1245 bn)
- Naspers Limited (R1519 bn)
- Anheuser Busch Inbev (R2117 bn)
Reasons why big companies are important to a country
- Bigger corporations are more productive,
- they pay higher wages,
- enjoy higher profits,
- and are more successful in international markets,
Therefore, a country’s economic success can be linked to its high numbers of big corporations